Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My apology to Lester Holt

I did not attend Lester Holt's speech on Apr. 14. I could have, but I chose not to. It's not that I have anything particularly against Holt - I suppose it's not really his fault at all that I chose not to attend. It's actually a combination of my lack of interest in broadcast journalism and my last experience with a speaker brought in by the Jessica Lavitch Distinguished Journalism Lecture Series. His name was David Muir. He looks like this: 


    and this:


   and this:



And that is all, it seems to me, David Muir seems to care about. His speech two years ago was so boringly about his success and designer wear that it reinstated in myself, in a sweeping generalization, that I did not want anything to do with being a news anchor. His narrative about his time covering post-Hurricane Katrina was this: his courage to step out, "knee-deep" in the waters and announce the breaking news. By the way, he did it in designer shoes and a suit (I don't remember the brands, sorry...). And when it came time for him to "humbly" thank the Park School for being asked to come as a speaker honoring Jessica Lavitch, he said as a young journalism student, he never imagined himself in the same fancy diggs she wore on set, hangin' round celebrity journalists like she did.

So, Lester Holt, I apologize. David Muir's speech was so underwhelming and disapointing that I couldn't sit through another speech by cocky celebrity journalist with a great tan. I also apologize if you aren't also conceited, but if you get the chance, at the next cocktail party for celebrity journalists, can you please pass on to Muir that having a busy schedule and a closet full of Armani suits isn't considered successful - or more importantly, investigative journalism.


No comments:

Post a Comment